The Olympic Tennis Event took place on outdoor hard courts (DecoTurf) at the custom built Olympic Green Tennis Centre in Beijing. The venue used 10 match courts and boasted a main arena with a capacity of 10,000 seats.
Russia dominated the women's singles event as Elena Dementieva led a clean sweep of gold, silver and bronze for her nation. Dementieva came from a set down to overcome compatriot Dinara Safina 36 75 63 in the final.
Rafael Nadal claimed the men's gold for Spain on his Olympic singles debut, defeating Fernando Gonzalez 63 76(2) 63 in the gold medal match after battling past Novak Djokovic to reach the final.
American sisters Venus and Serena Williams won the women's doubles gold to repeat their feat of Sydney 2000, while an emotional Roger Federer teamed up with Stanislas Wawrinka in the men's doubles to claim his only Olympic gold medal to date for Switzerland.
- Gold: Rafael Nadal (ESP)
- Silver: Fernando Gonzalez (CHI)
- Bronze: Novak Djokovic (SRB)
- Gold: Roger Federer / Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI)
- Silver: Simon Aspelin / Thomas Johansson (SWE)
- Bronze: Bob Bryan / Mike Bryan (USA)
- Gold: Elena Dementieva (RUS)
- Silver: Dinara Safina (RUS)
- Bronze: Vera Zvonareva (RUS)
- Gold: Venus Williams / Serena Williams (USA)
- Silver: Anabel Medina Garrigues / Virginia Ruano Pascual (ESP)
- Bronze: Zi Yan / Jie Zheng (CHN)